Monday, May 21, 2012

Twilight Route. That happened...

Remember that one time way back on February 19th when I said that we should take a Twilight Route to get to Los Angeles? Well a funny thing happened this weekend and I'll let you decide whether it was a happy accident, fate or a planned extension of my 2 day, 300+ mile trip to Cape Flattery, WA and back.

Here's the story:
I left Seattle at 8am on Friday (May 18th) and road to REI where I bought a bike helmet. CONGRATS SEATTLE FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE A HORRIBLE PERSON FOR NOT HAVING A HELMET FOR 2 DAYS. This city is definitely doing something right.
Afterwards I caught a 10:40am ferry to Bainbridge Island and biked a pleasant 80 miles (25 of which were on the Olympic Discovery Trail, which rocks), slipping into Port Angeles at around 6pm, just in time to eat dinner, pick up a local magazine with a list of Twilight hot spots, and ride up to the home of a warmshowers host. 

Turns out everyone was right, there's nothing like a warm shower after a long ride.

Now it gets exciting!

My generous hosts hooked me up with some bus routes and we decided that, in order to get to Cape Flattery and back it made the most sense to take a bus from Port Angeles to Sappho and then transfer to a bus that goes all the way out to Neah Bay, at which point I'd just have to ride 10 miles further to get to the edge of Washington, on the Makah Indian lands. 
The first part was perfect, got on the 7:05am bus to Sappho, took a nap, enjoyed the view and then alerted the driver that my stop was Sappho. Another woman spoke up and asked if there was a transfer to the Neah Bay bus. 
"Nope." Replied the bus driver, "You've gotta transfer at Forks."
That sealed the deal. I rode the bus to Forks, the home of Twilight, and then caught another bus to Neah Bay.

Once in Neah Bay I rode 10 miles out to Cape Flattery, hiked the gorgeous 1/2 mile trail out to the ocean and then rode all the way back to Clallam Bay. The story goes on and only gets crazier with a ride from 3 surfers who failed to catch waves, a few more visits to Twilight Hotspots in Port Angeles, a  bus ride to Sequim, a ride with a stone mason and then another 40 miles of biking to put me at a total of 70 miles. I finally caught the Bainbridge Ferry back to Seattle around 9pm and didn't get back into Seattle until 10pm.


1 comment:

  1. You fail to mention any drinking in this post. As far as I am concerned drinking is the only thing that makes anything Twilight related tolerable!

    ReplyDelete